- 19 May, 2020
English Tourism Week 25-31 May
English Tourism Week will take place on 25-31 May, encompassing the second bank holiday in May. This year, the campaign's focus will be on engagement with Government, MPs and other stakeholders, to support the recovery of English tourism and raise awareness of the importance, quality and value of the sector to the UK economy.
VisitEngland is proud to lead the annual English Tourism Week campaign celebrating our diverse, exciting and vibrant sector, and showcasing the quality, range and value of English tourism to stakeholders. The week provides an essential opportunity to raise awareness and the sector's profile to key stakeholders, with VisitEngland working to support English destinations with political engagement nationally, regionally and locally.
Making up 80% of the UK’s visitor economy, English tourism generates £106 billion a year, supports 2.6 million jobs and is a major employer of school leavers and young people, as well as an incubator for entrepreneurs and innovation. Local MPs will be supported with the information they need to understand just how important tourism is in their local area. ETW provides a spotlight to put tourism front of mind with key stakeholders and showcase the amazing work that goes on each and every day to build strong and resilient destinations.
In addition, through a long-standing partnership with The Mirror newspaper, Tourism Superstar is a competition that puts the spotlight on to those working frontline in the sector. Destination Management Organisations across England root out their true shining stars, who typify their area and showcase all that is good in visitor welcome and inspiration.
English Tourism Week can:
- Raise the profile and awareness of English tourism with decision-makers, the media, those who work or are considering a career in the industry
- Provide an opportunity to engage with your local stakeholders such as local MPs to bring attention to tourism’s contribution in your area
- Increase awareness amongst domestic and overseas visitors of the value and quality of the English tourism offer and encourage domestic travel
Simple steps to get involved:
- Download the logos (ZIP, 5.75MB) and use the hashtag #EnglishTourismWeek20 on social media to share facts and figures about tourism in your area and raise awareness of businesses in the area.
- Join the campaign on social media - download the "I support English Tourism" sign (ZIP, 630KB) from the toolkit and share the message to everyone during the week.
English tourism touches everyone – visitors, residents, businesses and destinations. It is one of the few sectors active in every part of the country.
VisitEngland have a dedicated COVID-19 business support page which you can access by clicking on the image below. Here you will find guidance and advice to help you re open your business.